How to make Sauerkraut using the Mad Millie Fermenting Crock:
For those who love their Sauerkraut, we’ve got something special for you! We current have the Mad Millie Fermenting Crock in Stock and here is a fantastic way to use it!!
- Sterilize your hands and equipment before attempting to make the Sauerkraut.
- With sterilized hands, chop up/slice the cabbage into fine pieces.
- Transfer the chopped pieces into a clean and sterile bowl and add salt.
- Gently kneed the cabbage in order to mix the salt in properly – you’ll notice all the juice (brine) that will separate from the cabbage while doing this.
- Take the cabbage with clean, sterile hands and squash together making tight balls of cabbage, and place in the Fermenting Crock.
- Once you have completed this step, pour the brine on top of the cabbage within the fermenting crock.
- Before you place the lid, pour a little bit of water on the sides of the top of the crock so that a water seal will form. This will cause the gas to escape but none to enter. Water does evaporate so make sure you keep a close eye on it and top up where necessary.
- Seal the lid and leave to ferment for 7 days.
- After 7 days, open the lid, taste and if it isn’t salty enough, leave for a further two weeks to ferment. It should change in taste as well as in colour.
- After you are satisfied with the taste and colour, transfer into clean, sterile jars and refrigerate.
- Serve and enjoy!!