Posts tagged [Yeast]
This is all about re-activating the yeast from a bottle of special beer that may be needed to make a particular recipe. The beer will not taste right if you use a regular homebrew yeast. The yeast starter needs to be made about 24 Hours before you intend to start your beer.
- A bottle of fermented beer
- any good commercial beer that has a sediment at the bottom of the bottle can be used. You must use the particular beer mentioned in the recipe that you desire to make.
- Some light dried malt extract.
- It is useful to buy 500g of malt and keep it in an airtight container for this purpose.
- You will also need a "Starter Bottle."
- Find a bottle of about 500ml to 1L in size.
- Fit a rubber bung with a hole for an airlock in the neck. Put an airlock in the hole.
- Sterilize the starter bottle bung and airlock.
- Open the beer that you bought of choice and pour into a glass. In doing so, make sure that you don't disturb the sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Leave some beer and all the sedimnent in the bottle.
- Enjoy the beer while you are making your yeast starter.
- Make a 10% solution of malt and water (1 part malt and 10 parts water). Approximate measurements will do.
- Bring this to a boil and then let it cool down to room temperature.